Sunday, November 11, 2007

Arapaua SeaFarm and the Molesworth



The first adventure of the South Island started with a trip on a mailboat to a farm on the tip of the Marlborough Sounds. The Arapawa SeaFarm is a 900 acre farm, cultivating paua (aka abalone) on a small bay facing the North Island. In the picture it is the upper right island.



The day to day activities included weeding tawini, moving wood from a tree that was chopped down, and helping with the three children. All in all it was an epic view, lots of work, and a week to remember.

The next destination was the Molesworth, New Zealands largest farm. At 400,000 acres, this high alpine farm is managed as a conservation area, as well as a recreation area. Although the road traveling trough is only open for a short period starting in December, I applied for a special permit to ride through. One week later I found myself traveling up the gravely road towards the enterance. The road was a mix of velvet dust and splintered river rock.



Smack dab in the middle of the Molesworth I hit 1000k on the odometer. I think big #2 will come much faster as my time on the south island will be much more cycle intensive.

No comments: