Thursday, August 09, 2007

Burning Man and a Balloon

Well, it looks like there has been a change in plans. Previous to the month of August, our little group of friends planning a trip to Burning Man was semi nebulously focused on rennovating an old school bus to take to the festival. Ha. Our realization that no one knew mechanics, or anything about a bus came slowly and surely. There was brilliant talk of chopping the bus in half to make two trailers, and even inserting a rustic Jackson cabin betwix the two, but these thoughts were tainted by a lack of motivation and group energy.

Just about 36 hours ago I found myself standing in a field. Interesting? Well this field is home to the Wyoming Balloon Company, and I was there to purchase a decommissioned hot air balloon. Luckily I met with the owners niece, and being into the arts (a dance major) she sided with my thoughts on a new use for an old balloon. We will cover a gigantic sculpture with it, and walla!



Brian Carpenter and I spread the balloon out on my lawn. The material cost $160, and this was for 1/2 of a 250,000 cubic foot balloon. I can say with confidence we don't need any more.

The plan is to use the rest to give a hammock making clinic at Burning Man as a gift to the community. We will invite others to take a piece of the balloon and make a hammock, and maybe give away Ping Wu Hammock guides...

No comments: