Thursday, November 15, 2007

The sideroad phenom and the Huia Cave



I chose to bike a sideroad yesterday. The first 10k was shingle (gravel), but coupled with steep banked turns and a constant downhill grade. Among the orchards and pastures I saw my first hops farm. Beautiful fields of strings for the hops to grow up.



I also visited a cave titled the Huia Cave. I chated with an Austrian farmer about the location and a bit about the cave itself. After scaling a little river that ran into the cave I found most of the interior clogged with logs and debris. Some people don't want anything to do with holes in the ground. I am not one of them, and thoroughly enjoy the looming ominious feeling when first approaching an enterance. It feels like there is someone peering out from deep within, and this sensation is thrilling.

No comments: