Sunday, September 16, 2007

Around the Block

In preparation for a tour in New Zealand I decided to go 'around the block'.



20 minutes into the journey I started up Teton Pass via the old pass road. 15% grades and a loaded touring bike were interesting for my gumby legs, but I made it up fine at barely walking speed. Gotta love the great granny gear, weee.



Borrowing gear is splendid. A friend loaned me his bike from a previous Pan Am journey, and I acquired all the panniers from a local non-profit, Friends of Pathways. The director, Tim Young is an interesting and inspiring individual having ridden around the world.



I stayed the night at Pallisades, approximately 60 miles into the journey. It was a shock to see the resivouir in its current state at 18% of its capacity. If there isn't a monster snow year coming up, this shallow lake will turn into a babbling brook.



The epic vista from the journey wasn't the splendid fields or magnificent color changes occurring, rather it was two moose attempting to ford the Snake River. I happened on this intense moment in the snake river canyon, and witnessed the creatures standing strong in deep waters when the current overcame them. Instinct took over, and both moose avoided the treacherous white water downstream and opted to munch on willows upon exiting the water where they began their journey.

No comments: